Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Edward Bawden - Fortnum and Mason



The book 'Entertaining A La Carte', was published in 2007 by The Mainstone Press, to celebrate the tercentenary of Fortnum and Mason. The book contains over 200 images of Edward Bawden's incredible illustrations he produced for Fortnum and Mason in the 1930's and 40's. I personally think the images are absolutely fantastic, and I wish I owned a copy of the book. Sadly, it was a limited print run of only 1000, and although it can be found, it is a little pricey. Maybe one day I will get my hands on it. But for now; I will have to be contented with looking at these exciting snippets. 


       


It's hard to believe they were created nearly 90 years ago, they still look incredibly fresh and vibrant today. The thing I love most about them, is the playful childish quality. I get the feeling Bawden was really enjoying himself when he created these images. They show such a great sense of humour. I'd love to get this into my own work.