Sunday, 8 August 2010

The Mechanical World of Robert Race







I recently popped along to The Brewery Arts Centre in Cirencester and stumbled upon this fantastic Robert Race exhibition, full of toys, and automata. Every piece in the exhibition was interactive, playful and made of wood. One of my favourite pieces was this, the 'Seaside Machine' (above).



Also these birds on pegs in their giant wooden display case looked very sweet, and you could purchase one. I love an exhibition where you can take part, as well as take part of it home!
There were some fantastic wooden stags heads with moving eyes, which I really did want to take home... for some reason I don't seem to have a photo of these, oops!


I bought these paper climbing bathers instead.


Also on our way home we stopped off in Painswick , where I bought this fantastic old book.